Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday unveiled a long-term blueprint for India’s maritime economy, outlining a vision to make India a global maritime leader by 2047.
The blueprint, titled ‘Amrit Kaal Vision 2047’, focuses on developing India’s port infrastructure, promoting sustainable maritime practices, and encouraging investment in the maritime sector.
Speaking at the Global Maritime India Summit 2023, PM Modi said that the maritime economy is a key driver of India’s economic growth and development.
He said that the government is committed to developing a strong and vibrant maritime sector, and that the blueprint will provide a roadmap for achieving this goal.
The blueprint includes a number of initiatives, such as:
- Developing next-generation mega ports and international container trans-shipment ports.
- Developing islands and inland waterways.
- Developing multi-modal hubs.
- Promoting sustainable maritime practices such as green shipping and clean energy.
- Encouraging investment in the maritime sector.
The blueprint also sets a number of targets for the maritime sector by 2047, including:
- Increasing India’s share of global maritime trade from 9% to 12%.
- Increasing India’s rank in the Lloyd’s List World Top 10 Container Ports from 13th to 5th.
- Increasing India’s rank in the Logistics Performance Index from 44th to 25th.
PM Modi said that the government is working with all stakeholders to implement the blueprint and achieve the vision of making India a global maritime leader by 2047.
Experts Hail Blueprint as Ambitious and Achievable
Experts have hailed the blueprint as ambitious and achievable. They say that the blueprint has the potential to transform India’s maritime sector and make India a major maritime player in the world.
However, experts also caution that the government will need to invest heavily in developing the maritime sector and create a conducive environment for investment and innovation.
They also say that the government will need to work with all stakeholders, including the private sector, to implement the blueprint successfully.
The blueprint for India’s maritime economy is a welcome step forward. It has the potential to transform India’s maritime sector and make India a major maritime player in the world.
However, the government will need to invest heavily in developing the maritime sector and create a conducive environment for investment and innovation.