Cyber attacks rise in India and worldwide.
You think you’re safe on the internet right now… or are you?
It’s funny we have assumed that if we stayed home and be kind, crime rates will drop. Let me introduce you to Internet/Cyber Crime, the modern generation crime, sometimes equally inhuman as the other heinous crimes.
“No need to step out! All you need is the internet and some gadgets! Up to 80% of humanity lost! Sometimes death is guaranteed.”
Let’s understand cyber crimes briefly.
Cyber Crime is the act performed to harm people online for personal benefit using a laptop or smartphones and the internet. Scammers or Hackers are now known as Cyber Criminals. Cybercrime is also called Cyberattack, which means defaming someone or destroying their private information by gaining unauthorized access over their network or system.
Just like a minor cut and mutilation, there is a severity in cybercrime as well.
Who are the culprits?
Cybercrimes are so common these days that it has its fan base. This method is almost effortless to plot revenge against anyone. Mostly teenagers and youngsters are the ones who are using this to get their way via social media platforms and other online resources.
Not only the little ones but adults are also equally responsible and have a part in being criminals as money theft, online scam and fraud is not a piece of cake accessible just to youngsters.
Matter of Concern – Rise in Cyber Attack amid COVID-19.
Recently it has been documented that the number of cybercrimes performed in a year is increasing at an alarming rate due to ‘work from home’ environment. Many cybersecurity companies are fighting against this new form of crime, but there is no permanent solution. Every technology has its loopholes, and there is always a brain superior to another. It’s a never-ending race between a cop and a malefactor. Except it’s over the internet and both of the teams are smart creators and developers.
It’s not a matter to be proud that anyone with a slight knowledge of gadgets and the internet could be a hacker.
However, we should also consider the fact that not all hackers are villains, just like not all developers develop software or applications to demean. Some hackers are ethical hackers, i.e., good hackers.
As per the report published by Cloudflare, there has been a steep rise in malicious activities over the past few weeks. The main reason for this increase is the COVID-19 pandemic and everyone living an online life. It states that there was more than a 37% lift in phishing and hacking activities.
As the lockdown proceeds, people are working from home, and online classes use cloud collaboration tools. All the data and communication are transmitted via the internet, which creates an immense opportunity for hackers to take the venture and wholesome trouble for the cybersecurity company. An increase in the usage of cloud service has increased the attacks targeting the cloud as well.
McAfee’s report says, “External attacks on cloud accounts grew 630 percent from January to April. Overall, enterprise use of cloud services increased by 50 percent over the same period.” According to the same report, the risk of the data leak is high because many unmanaged personal devices are accessing the cloud.
Some commonly committed Cyber Crimes:
- Phishing Scam as the name sounds, is like -fishing! Hackers will lure you with something attractive or weird that gets your attention via a link in an e-mail, and upon arriving, you will be asked to click on the same, when you do so, hackers will hack your personal information, including passwords, social media account, and bank account details.
- DoS Attack is also referred to as a Denial-of-service attack or the DDoS when the attack is distributed. In this kind of attack, the malefactor prohibits the user from accessing the data that it needs by making the resource unavailable.
- MitM Attack (Man-in-the-Middle attack) is as precise as its name suggests where the hacker counts on the conversation or exchange of information between the two parties without letting them know. It is possible for hackers only after he hacks that particular website.
- Cyberstalking means to stalk or harass people by sending messages or e-mail over the internet. The message might contain anything threatening or abusive or something which can lead to defamation or vandalism.
In simple words, the ransomware attack is hacking someone’s data and account by blocking access for them over the internet and making the demand for something personal or inaccessible. The blocking continues unless the ransom is paid.
An interesting fact is that with advancements in technology, we are facing the progress in crime. Who would have thought about this in the past!
How to stay safe online?
Few preventive measures against cybercrimes are:
- Strong password – Password using a unique character, numbers, small letters, and letters in caps makes it hard to crack securing your account at the initial stage.
2. Two-factor authentication– asks for more than one evidence to grant you access to the particular website or platform.
3. Keeping the software updated – Time to time update your software to remove the flaws and existing loopholes. The upgraded version is always the one upon which the attack attempt has not been practiced.
4. Antivirus – For safe browsing, using antivirus can prevent from unauthorized third-party access.
5. Check for spams – Avoid clicking on spam and links from unreliable sources.
6. Using a firewall for internet connection.
7. Securing Wi-Fi networks.
8. Most importantly, learn what to do if you become a victim of a cyberattack. Contact local authorities as soon as possible.
Initiatives of the Indian Government:
As a cyber-safe initiative, the Indian government has a platform available for everyone. It is under the ‘Cyber Safe India’ project. It is a phishing attack prevention campaign to protect individuals and business owners. Any unwanted activity or attack can be reported at firstname.lastname@example.org for action. The request must be made with relevant logs and email addresses.
CERT or Computer Emergency Response Team was established in 2004. Their main area of functioning is against cybercrime and promote cybersecurity. CERT comes under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
To conclude, no matter what kind of crime is happening, it affects life.
Cybercrime affects life.
We should stay concerned about what type of data we provide in the public domain or on our social media platform. We should follow maximum privacy settings and prevention measures to secure our sensitive data. Relying on a trusted website and carefully granting permission can do the miracle. Being an average, we may not be able to fight the ongoing war on our own, but we are surely capable of preventing them from happening to us.